Sunday, January 4, 2009

CARAMEL APPLE GALETTE

Oooh! Here's one to add to your WW Flex points! I have always wanted to make a Galette, and finally made one for Sunday dinner today. I loved the taste and texture of this. I made it on my Pampered Chef cookie sheet and I can't imagine making it on anything other than a stone now. It was simple, quick and so yummy! Only 5 pts per serving too!

CARAMEL APPLE GALETTE (WW - 5 pts)

The galette is a free form French tart. Golden colored turbinado sugar is coarse raw sugar. It makes the pastry glisten and adds crunch and a slight molasses flavor to the dessert. You can substitute 2 tsp granulated sugar, if you do not have the turbinado sugar.

Cooking spray
1 refrigerated pie dough such as Pillsbury
4 medium apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4" slices (4 cups)
Use the apples of your choice. I used Gala and it turned out delicious!
1/2 cup Splenda (bulk)
1 Tblsp flour
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp water
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 Tblsp turbinado sugar
1/3 cup fat free caramel topping

Preheat oven to 425. If you have a papmered chef stone, spray it with cooking spray and set aside. If you do not have a stone, then line a baking sheet with parchment paper, coat the paper with cooking spray. Roll dough into a 13" circle on prepared parchment paper. In a separate bowl, combine the apples and next 6 ingredients; toss well. Place apple mixture in center of dough, leaving a 3 inch border (apples will be piled high on dough). Fold edges of dough toward center, pressing slightly to seal (dough will only partially cover apple mixture).

Combine water and egg white; brush over edges and top of dough, sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes or until golden brown and apples are done. Filling may leak slightly during cooking (mine did not, but I think it might have been because I used Splenda in place of the sugar that was called for in the original recipe).

Remove from oven, drizzle with warm caramel sauce and serve warm with fat free whipped topping. You can tell my stone was still hot, the caramel sauce bubbled right up when I drizzled it on!

Yield: 8 servings.
Points value: 5 (I replaced the sugar with Splenda, so it may be less, like 4 or so)
Calories: 233
Fat: 7 g
Carb: 40 g

4 comments:

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

This looks delicious! May just have to try it ;).

I love your dishes too~I have the same china set :D.

Have a wonderful week
~Amy

Unknown said...

Yumma! Will have to make this for the man, substituting sugar for Splenda ;o)

Anonymous said...

Starr that looks so good! It is a very lovely looking too!!!!

Cathryn said...

Starr, I'm not sure that I have ever left a post but I do come by often to see what yummy stuff you are cooking. I have awarded you a blog award. I hope you will go to my blog and check it out. Blessings ~ Cathryn