Monday, November 24, 2008

SUBSTITUTES IN A PINCH

Don't you hate running out of something right when you need it? Especially when it's late and you don't feel like driving to the store, to get more, even if it is only 4 miles! I'm like that. I HATE running out of needed items. But..... occasionally it happens.

Last week I let my self run out of 2 things: dishwasher soap and spray starch!

A quick google search gave me a recipe for homemade dishwasher soap, but who keeps "borax" in their house? Not me. I did find one suggestion to add 3 Tblsp of baking soda to the dishwasher to wash the dishes, but that just didn't seem like a "clean" enough substitute to suit me. So along with the 3 Tblsp of baking soda, I added a scant teaspoon of regular Dawn dishwashing detergent. (What can I say? Yes, I had regular dish soap, but didn't feel like washing an entire sink of dishes by hand! I'm so spoiled!) It worked and my dishwasher didn't even suds over (and yes, I've been there, done that! LOL)

My next adventure was running out of spray starch (the same week!) A quick google search uncovered a "recipe" for homemade spray starch. I was a bit skeptical, but decided to try it anyway. My hubby wears dress shirts most every day of the week, so I needed something quick to iron up a few shirts for him. The homemade starch worked like a charm!

*Special Note* I would only use the homemade spray starch on whites and brights though. I tried using it on some dark dress shirts and it left a spotty residue that I had to wipe off with a damp cloth. But.... hey, it worked for me in a pinch! And hubby's white dress shirts were clean, and crisp looking! Could use on table linens, cloth napkins, pillowcases, etc...

Here's the recipe in case you ever need it:

HOMEMADE SPRAY STARCH

2 cups cold water
1 heaping Tblsp corn starch
A couple drops of your favorite scented essential oil (but if you're like me, and don't have essential oil in your house, just take a new, scented Bounce sheet and stuff it down in the spray bottle along with the corn starch mixture!)

Combine it all in a measuring cup, whisk until corn starch is dissolved and pour into spray bottle. Add your essential oil (or your bounce sheet!) Give it a good shake, and you're good to go! Be sure to shake it occasionally to keep it mixed up while you're ironing.
Even if I'm just using plain water to mist my clothes when I iron, I still keep a fresh bounce sheet stuffed inside my spray bottle of water.

So, that's my favorite way to use a food item in a non-food way. What's yours? Do you put cucumber slices on your eyes to prevent puffiness? Do you rub lemon on your copper pots to make them shine? Share your food / non food tips with me. I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

Leah said...

I love that tip Starr! I'll have to try it on my table clothes. I love a good crisp table cloth.