Thursday, November 27, 2008

SOUTHERN PECAN PIE

Have you ever made a pecan pie? I love it but had never personally made one, until this year for Thanksgiving. And now, it's going to be a yearly thing! It got rave reviews, especially from my Honey! I guess I always thought pecan pie was difficult, or too expensive, but neither is the case. If you like it all, don't hesitate to try this recipe - it's a piece of cake. OOPS! I mean a piece of pie! *hehe*

SOUTHERN PECAN PIE

4 Tblsp butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tblsp flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup light Karo syrup
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup pecan halves (roughly chopped - or whole, it's your preference)
1 (9") pie crust

Preheat oven to 325. Cream the butter, brown sugar, flour and salt until smooth. Add the Karo syrup, eggs and vanilla, then fold in the pecans. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or utnil firm to the touch.
Serve the pie warm or cool.

*One thing I noticed as I was scouring the many recipes, out there, for pecan pie. The argument over whether to leave the pecans whole or roughly chop them. I've always felt that roughly chopping them, helps them stay in place better on top of the pie as you're cutting into it. I like pecans with each bite, and if they are whole, chances are, that won't happen as you're eating it. So for my pie, I roughly chopped them. But if you prefer them whole, by all means, leave them that way!

No comments: