Sunday, November 16, 2008

SAVORY STUFFED "TURKEN"

WOWZERS is all I can say about this one! Have you ever heard of the Turducken? Well, I couldn't find anything other than a whole duck, so I skipped the duck part and did my own thing! I stuffed this turkey breast with boneless, skinless chicken breasts and a delicious savory stuffing. I was a bit nervous as it was cooking and kept wondering if I should have seasoned the layers of meat. But amazingly, the meat picked up the flavors of the stuffing as it was baking! This was a REAL WINNER! A bit of work to prepare, but every bit, worth the effort! I'll be taking this to our church's Thanksgiving dinner too. I've included sort of step by step instructions on how to assemble the "Turken." If you can grab an extra set of hands when you tie it up, you really should - you'll need them!

SAVORY STUFFED "TURKEN"

1 lb. mushrooms
1/4 cup olive oil, plus some for brushing over turkey
3 oz. prosciutto, finely minced
3/4 cup onions, minced
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons minced parsley
2 tsp. salt, divided (1 tsp each)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
garlic powder

1/2 (14 oz) bag of seasoned crouton stuffing
1 cup hot water or chicken broth
1/4 butter

1 3 lb. boneless turkey breast with skin
1 lb boneless, skinless, thin, chicken breasts
butcher's twine

2 Tblsp butter
2 Tblsp honey

Roughly chop mushrooms. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over high heat. Add prosciutto and sauté for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, onions and garlic; cook until onions are translucent. Add thyme, parsley, 1 tsp salt, salt and pepper. Set aside. Melt the 1/4 cup butter into the 1 cup of hot water or chicken broth. Pour over stuffing mix and stir until moistened. Add mushroom mixture and toss to mix well.

Do not remove skin from turkey breast. Debone and butterfly if not boneless. Place breast, skin side down on cutting board. Evenly layer in boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Spread the stuffing mixture evenly over the turkey, leaving the edges clear all around. Roll the turkey up over the filling and secure with cotton string.

Place roast in a roasting pan, skin side up. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Roast in a preheated 500°F oven for 20 minutes, or until roast is well browned. Reduce temperature to 325°F and roast an additional 60-90 minutes, or until temperature reads 165-170°F on an instant read thermometer.

*I put this in the oven on 350, before I left for church (9:00 a.m.) and it was done when we got home (12:45) I still checked it w/ my meat thermometer though.

Combine 2 Tblsp melted butter with 2 Tblsp honey and using a pastry brush, baste the turken with the mixture. Place back in oven for 10 minutes or until nice and shiny and crisp. Remove from oven and Allow roast to rest for 15 minutes before carving. Cut into 1/2" slices and serve with pan drippings as gravy.

If you can't find a boneless, skin on turkey breast, you can debone your own, but it is a little work. I did it, and if I can figure it out, anybody can! You have to have an extremely sharp deboning knife to get the carcass cut away from the breast meat. And be careful not to cut the turkey breast in half while you're removing the bone a little at a time. As you removing the bone - do not cut away the extra skin at the neck area. You'll want that to help cover part of the stuffing.
Once you get the bones out and get the turkey breast layed out flat - layer in your pound of thin, boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Then spoon on the stuffing. Don't be afraid to load that puppy up! I spooned it on and then pressed it down with my hands.
Now, remember that extra skin at the neck area? Using both hands, grab from the sides and pull it together as tight as you can. Have your extra set of hands pull the extra skin up and over the top of the Turken. Then have them wrap butcher's twine around it. Wrap it around horizontally in at least 3 or 4 evenly spaced sections and tie it TIGHT. Then wrap one vertically and tie it tight. Flip it over so the skin side is up. Season with salt and pepper and place in roasting pan with 2 cups of water.
VOILA! Just out of the oven! Now take your honey and butter mixture and baste the turken with it. Place the turken back in the oven for about 10 minutes or so, just long enough for it to get nice and shiny and crispy on top.
OH NO I have tan lines! See what I mean? YUMMO!

Soooo moist and delicous! Don't you want to try it now? You won't be disappointed! Trust me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Starr ... how do you think this would fair w/o the mushrooms? I have two that REALLY object and although I have in the past made them 'pick out' with something that is this special would rather no one be 'diggin' ... just enjoying LOL

Chris (watw)

Starr said...

Wow, not sure on that Chris. The mushrooms are a big portion of the savory addition to the stuffing. Plus they are chopped, so I don't think it would be possible to pick them out. Honestly, the overwhelming flavor of the stuffing is not mushroom. I don't know that anyone would know they were in there, if I didn't tell them. I used the little white mushrooms, they are pretty mild in flavor. I suppose you could leave them out though - that's the beauty of recipes, when you make them your own. Let me know what you do and how it turns out.

Ivy said...

This looks absolutely amazing! A little difficult maybe?
I think I will make this for Christmas dinner though.
God Bless :)

Unknown said...

Wow - you post the most delicious-looking food! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

This is so impressive! You did a fantastic job, this is not an easy thing to prepare. It does look quite moist. I'd love to feature your recipe on our blog, please let me know if you're interested :).

Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophie@keyingredient.com