Sunday, November 16, 2008

SAVORY SQUASH CRISP

Do you ever make new recipes for dinner guests? I must be a glutton for punishment - I made 2 things today, that I had never eaten or made! This was one of them. A friend had given me a couple of butternut squash from her garden, and I had them sitting in a basket by my stove. I needed to use them, but am still sort of new to the whole squash scene. We're trying to eat more of it, but it's still unfamiliar territory for me. I actually saw this recipe in one of those recipe card holders at the grocery store, by the produce. I saw the word squash, read the recipe, and said, "I have everything I need to make this! I'm making this for Sunday dinner!" It got rave reviews at dinner, by everyone at the table. So yep, it's a keeper!
Very savory and delicious!

SAVORY SQUASH CRISP

1 (2 lb) Butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1" cubes
1/4 cup butter, divided
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups seasoned crouton stuffing mix
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 400. Bring large pot of water to boiling. Drop in squash cubes. Cook 7 - 8 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well. Spoon squash into 3 qt baking dish. Toss with 1 Tblsp butter, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Set aside.
Meanwhile, melt remaining 3 Tblsp butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in bread cubes, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and thyme. Saute 1 to 2 minutes to coat with butter. Stir in pecans. Spoon evenly over squash. Bake 10 - 15 minutes or until bread cubes are lightly browned.

*This can be made the night before. I mixed this up last night. Pulled it from the fridge early this morning (7 am) and then let it sit and come to room temperature during church. When I got home, I tossed it in the oven for about 20 minutes (maybe 30) and it baked up just as nice and fresh as if I had just made it.
*I also drizzled a little melted butter over the top before I put it in the oven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds absolutely delicious!