Wednesday, October 15, 2008

MINI SAUSAGE AND EGG CASSEROLES

I like to surprise my family once in a while on Saturday or Sunday morning with a new treat. This one was for a Sunday morning. That is rare for me, since Sunday mornings here are so very busy with bus routes. The girls and I are all up and out the door pretty early. I didn't take into account that I had to allow for the set up and photographing of the dish! haha So I really pushed myself on time this particular morning - but it was totally worth it! Sooo good! The nice thing about these, is you can mix them up the night before and just toss them in the oven in the morning.

MINI SAUSAGE AND EGG CASSEROLES

8 (1 1/2 oz) sourdough bread slices, cut into cubes (or any other favorite bread)
1 (16 oz) package ground pork sausage, browned and crumbled
2 1/2 cups milk
4 large eggs
1 Tblsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Divide bread cubes among 10 (8 to 10 oz) lightly greased ovenproof ramekins or coffee mugs. Top with cooked sausage. Whisk together milk, eggs and mustard. Pour over bread and sausage mixture in ramekins. Whisk together buttermilk and cream of mushroom soup. Spoon over bread mixture in ramekins. Sprinkle with cheese. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until set and puffed. Serve immediately.
*NOTE* Unbaked ramekins of casserole can be covered with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and frozen up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator 24 hours. Bake as directed.

1 comment:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I will have to try this! I have already printed off many of your recipes.

You will love the pumpkin cookies. I have to double the recipe when taking them to a potluck or such. :)

Another cookie recipe on the recipe blog (which is the sister of my regular blog) that people love is the one for German Chocolate cookies.

They take just a little more time but are well worth it, especially for special events like the Holidays.