Friday, August 1, 2008

HANNAH BANANA MUFFINS

Don't you just love a good muffin? But I think it's a cardinal sin to make or eat a DRY muffin! I just won't do it. I like muffins to be MOIST and have a nice crispy, light brown, crown on them. To me, that is perfection in a muffin. You can tell these muffins are moist, because they don't crumble when you cut them. I probably make these a couple times a month, or whenever the bananas don't get finished off after I buy them. Tonight I had 4 dark bananas sitting in the fruit bowl, staring at me, wondering what their fate would be. I finally took pity on them and re-made them into some glorious "Hannah Banana" muffins. They were so happy! *hehe* If you're wondering where "Hannah Banana" came from, it was when our daughter (now 23) was diagnosed with cancer at 6 yrs old. It was the nickname attached to her by her nurses and caretakers in the hospital. The name has just kind of stuck, so these muffins are in honor of my sweet "Hannah Banana!" I'm so glad we still have her with us! THANK YOU Lord!

HANNAH BANANA MUFFINS

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
3 or 4 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup sweetened applesauce or 1/2 sour cream
(whichever you prefer or happen to have on hand)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 heaping tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Chopped pecans & extra sugar for topping

Cream softened butter and sugar together with a mixer. Add eggs, bananas, applesauce (or sour cream, whichever you decided on) and vanilla. Mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Slowly add to creamed mixture a cup at a time, beating with mixer after each addition. Line a jumbo muffin tin with jumbo muffin papers and fill each one 3/4 of the way with muffin batter. Sprinkle liberally with chopped pecans and then liberally with sugar. Bake at 375 for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. DO NOT overbake them or they will dry out. Remember the 20 - 25 minutes is for JUMBO muffins. If you are using a regular size muffin pan, you will need to adjust your cooking time accordingly. I LOVE the crunchy topping these get while they are baking! Mmm!To get the full effect of this delicious muffin, you HAVE to eat it warm. So if you make them the night before (like I did) be sure to warm yours in the microwave for about 10 seconds before you eat it. When you sit down with your hot cup of coffee and a warm banana muffin in the morning, think of me and say a prayer for this preacher's family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this recipe. I am in the process of getting ready to open a bakery, and this will come in handy! Do you happen to have a chocolate muffin recipe too?
I've saved this recipe to try! Thanks a "bunch".

Starr said...

Awesome Sara! That's really exciting! I didn't realize you were a baker. Do you do cakes then too? I do have a chocolate muffin recipe, I'll have to dig it out. I'm on my way out the door for the day though. If you like this recipe, I don't mind if you use it in your bakery, but I would prefer that you give them a different name. I have for years wanted to start my own muffin business, called "Little D's Muffins" and these would be one that I would feature. I hope you understand. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh certainly. I would probably just call them "banana muffins". Not specialize in them or anything, but just include them on my menu.
Actually, I love to bake. I had posted about it in the prayer forum at the Well, but you were at camp, so you might have missed it.
You can read the story there so I won't have to type it out again if you want to. LOL
Thanks again!