Monday, July 14, 2008

AUTUMN FRUIT SALAD

This isn't a very good pic, but it's all I have, until I make this again and can snap a better one. This is Autumn fruit salad. I know we're in the middle of Summer right now, but I've been updating my catering page, and wanted to place the recipe for this where it could be found. I make this quite often to take to fellowships and it is always well received whenever I prepare it for catered events too. It's super easy and surprisingly yummy. If you didn't know the recipe, you'd be surprised to learn that the dressing is made with yogurt. Don't let that chase you off though - this one is delicious!

AUTUMN FRUIT SALAD

2 medium granny smith apples, unpeeled and diced (I've also used red apples)
Grated peel of 1 lime
1 can (11 oz) mandarin orange segments, drained
1 cup halved, seedless red grapes
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1 (8 oz) container vanilla, low fat yogurt
2 Tblsp chopped pecans, optional

In large serving bowl, combine apple, lime peel, orange segments and grapes. Add marshmallows and yogurt; mix gently. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Sprinkle chopped nuts over top; serve immediately.
Yeild: 12 servings

*NOTE* Don't make this too far in advance, because the marshmallows will get too soft and gooey. What you can do, is mix it all up and leave the marshmallows out until just before you serve it - then toss them in and give it a gentle stir. I've done it this way several times.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this salad! The lime peel makes it especially refreshing. So good I'd like to eat it for breakfast!

Starr said...

LOL GB. I agree! Whenever we have leftovers of this salad, I just nibble away on it, until it's gone!