Saturday, June 7, 2008

STARR'S CHICKEN SALAD STARS


I can't even begin to count how many times I have made these OR passed out the recipe. People love, love, love these SO much that I always make a double batch, because I KNOW they will get eaten. It's a "given" that I make these for our ladies Christmas fellowship. This chicken salad is so versatile. I've made it into a ball and served it with club crackers, my sister-in-law has heated it, thinned it with cream and poured it over pasta and I've baked it inside crescent rolls for a heartier snack. And well..... it's just plain good to eat with a fork! If you try these, be sure to leave me a comment and let me know what you thought of them. I like to hear what you have to say!

STARR'S CHICKEN SALAD STARS

2 - 3 C. Cooked, cut up chicken
1 (8 oz) Cream cheese
4 Tblsp. Melted margarine
2 Tblsp. Chopped onion
2 - 3 Tblsp. Milk
½ tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1 pkg wonton wrappers (the small ones)

Cream the cheese, melted margarine, salt, pepper, milk and onions together. Add chicken and stir to combine. Set aside. Lay 12 wonton wrappers on counter top. Brush top side of each wonton wrapper lightly w/ oil and press into lightly sprayed mini muffin tin (oil side up). Bake empty shells at 350 for 5 minutes. This is what they should look like when they are done baking.

These little shells can be used for a variety of savory or sweet fillings: Mini omelets made with scrambled eggs, ham & cheese; pizza fillings; crab rangoon filling; dessert fillings like ice cream, fruit, puddings, etc...
Anyway, back to the recipe! Remove muffin tin from oven & repeat until all shells have been baked. I have made the shells a day ahead before. I just make them all, make sure they are cool and then seal them in gallon size Ziploc bags. When you are ready to use them, place empty shells on baking sheet & fill each one w/ about 1 Tblsp of the chicken salad. (I always prepare these up to this point and set them aside until just before I need to serve them. Then pop the filled shells in the oven 5 minutes before serving time). After all the stars have been filled, place baking sheet with filled stars back in oven and bake an additional 5 minutes. Makes about 50 stars.
For a “heavier” snack: use croissant roll dough. Fill each triangle, fold over and pinch shut. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes on lightly sprayed cookie sheet.

No comments: